Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Rough and tough

Having 2 boys that have no fear is exciting (cough), however teaching them boundaries is a whole other story. They both think that everyone wants to play fight with them alllllllll the time. I think play fighting is a good thing and a great way for both of them to release some energy and have a good time. However, this mommy doesn't like to play fight, maybe because I'm a baby or boring or whatever, but I just don't like it. How on earth do you teach kids to only play fight and wrestle with people who want to and WHEN it is considered okay. Corbin has a few friends that are rough and tough boys also who LOVE to wrestle, and man they can go and go and both can be laughing the whole time. It's amazing. However there are other friends and ME who don't enjoy wrestling, and so at that point when he goes up and starts play fighting people get upset.

Teaching boundaries like these is not the easiest thing in the world to do. I really struggle with it and getting Corbin and Garrett to understand when certain behaviors are okay and when they are not. I struggle with Corbin with that but with Garrett I struggle even more. Garrett will up and hit you upside the head with a bat and think its the funniest thing in the world!! Trying to explain something to a 20 month old is near impossible. But if we laugh then Corbin instantly thinks, oh that's okay for me to do maybe they will laugh at me too! (Though, Corbin wouldn't hit me upside the head with a bat, other behaviors he does feed off of). And then it just becomes a big game, I get mad, kids get disciplined and Garrett doesn't get it. I don't know. Boundaries for certain behaviors are just hard!

Don't get me wrong, I love my boys being rough and tough and I pray they will be capable of anything they want to do as they get older. But this mom is tired of sitting on the floor to play with my boys and it being thought of as an instant WWF moment! I guess I can continue to look forward to them getting a little older and them being able to wrestle with each other safely (they try now, but Garrett is so little, he is always the one who gets hurt... Or the one who will pick up a bat!) .

Pretty sure I'll have grey hair early on in life! The things I'm learning about boys is amazing! Who knew ?!



No comments:

Post a Comment