Monday, March 4, 2013

I did it!

This past weekend I decided to schedule a race for about 3 weeks earlier than my training schedule thought I should. So this past week, I nixed my training and just went for it and pushed through a 3.1 mile run. I was so excited! So off to the run in Navasota I went this past Saturday.

I woke up, nervous as hell only to find out it was only 34 degrees outside and it was windy with a windchill of 29. What??? I've never run in COLD weather before so I was even more nervous. But off Clynt and I went to sign in for the race. I get there and realize, gulp, there are hills!! Another small factor I was not prepared for! But I was there and did it any ways. I did have to walk 2-3 times because the hills were making my thighs burn, but I would only stop for 5-10 seconds and I would be running again. I finished the race in 30.5 minutes. I was in tears when I ran through the finish line! I did it!! I could not believe it was over and I had finished in my goal of under 10 minute miles, even with all of the unknowns I had faced that day!

So what now? Clynt thinks I should start training for a 10k, but I'm going to run 3.1 for a few weeks and then start a 10k training program. I want to be sure that I can get to where the 3.1 is easy before I go training for something even harder. I really have a goal of a marathon one day but it will likely wait a few years till both my guys are in school and I can have a lot more time to train. Though I hope that by the end of next year I'll be able to run a half marathon. I really am just giving myself a long time to be ready for goals. And if they never happen, oh well. I'm having fun running and staying healthy. :)

Here is a picture of me after I ran my first race!

No comments:

Post a Comment