Wednesday, April 7, 2010

New Beginnings

Since decding to quit my full time job, I have started working a little bit at the New Hope! I loved working their before, but it was not feasible while also working a full time job. So I'm back at it again under Amanda returns from maternity leave. So, I think I have already shared all of that with you, but I am going to tell you a little about my first day. To start with, Corbin was NOT happy with me leaving him, even to be with his Grandpa. It was so sad. I wanted to cry, but considering it is one day a week for a few hours, I thought that he could handle it, which he did. So, my day, it was wonderful to see everyone at the church again! We have been attending East campus for so long that we have missed out on all of our friends at the main campus:: tear::. So that was wonderful! Things have changed so much though and with the permanent campus happening, I am still flabergasted at how everything just comes together. The Lord sure does have a way of making things happen! Praise HIM! So most of the day was spend re-learning much of what I did prior to leaving, although their were several things that have been put under that umbrella since I left. So, there was still plenty to learn. I love getting to work with Amanda, whom is a close friend of mine. And I also love getting to work with my old boss again! She was wonderful, and still is! I love her to pieces and sincerely missed getting to see her on a regular basis! Love you Jeanne!!!
So I just realized that that was an incredibly long paragraph, so I thought I should start a new one. I came home at 3:00 to a sleeping baby and my dad watching golf. It was wonderful, I was able to pick up the messy house a little and start on dinner. Thanks Mom and Dad for watching Corbin most of the day!!
I checked the mail when I got home and found that our ONE cloth diaper had made it. I have really ordered 7 and 14 inserts, and I now have 1 and 14 inserts. My order has been messed up several times, but they do have decent customer service so it is rather hard to be upset! The diapers that I have ordered have snap in "pads" that go inside the external cloth diaper. They are wonderful! It is like the new generation of cloth diapers! Woo hoo. So I already had the inserts washed so when I got the shell in I could start trying them out! Corbin decided to help in the trying process and had a heavy wet diaper and a poopy one too. The diapers are incredibly!!!! There were no leaks or anything and he had it on for over 3 hours. He luckly had a solid poo, so it was a breeze to change. All that I have to do it put the solids in the toilet (by shaking or using a biday type of sprayer) and then put it in a wet bag until you have enough dirty ones to wash in the washing machine. So simple! I ended up putting him in a disposable diaper for the night time, because the overnight inserts have not come in yet (suprise suprise!), but I do intent to use my ONE diaper and ton of inserts tomorrow. I am excited!
People keep asking me why I am doing the cloth diaper thing, and I think any cloth diapering mommy can tell you the same thing in a 3 part answer:
1) SAFER FOR BABY- There are many studies about the effects of the Chlorine used in cloth diapers and fertility in boys. And many other studies about the chemicals used to absorb in diaposable diapers. You should look into it. We have been using 7th Generation Chlorine and Dye free diapers which is better than the name brand diapers, but it is still not the same. You may ask why we are just now deciding to use cloth, and the answer is simple- DayCares and/or babysitters dont generally do cloth diapers.
2) SAFER for the environment- I read a statistic saying that said 2-3% of landfills are filled with disposable diapers! Not to mention the water and natural resources that it take to make the over 5,000 diapers that you will use in 2 years.


3) CHEAPER- Okay so I spend about $200 to buy my diapers and all the accessories that I need to start cloth diapering. I was spending $12.99 a week for 7th Gen diapers. You do the math. The diapers that I bought are one size, so they grow with the baby from 8 pounds to 35 pounds by adjusting the snaps on them. So, I can use them for my next children also! CRAZY!
4) Okay, I thought I would throw in an extra, THEY LOOK SOOO CUTE! LOL.. I only have 1 white one so far but the other 6 I am getting are blues and browns.
I can't go without showing you Corbin in the diapers! These are just the white ones, but you can see in the front the snaps for readjusting the size:



Blog out!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment