Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sticking to a budget

Sticking to a budget is one of the hardest things for me to do. Ever since I met Clynt, we have had enough money to vacation, shop, and do anything that we wanted to do. We would set a budget but never follow it because we always had extra money to spend. Then with us both being college graduates with good jobs, it got worse. We would spend, spend, spend. Corbin has never gone a day simply in a onsie (unless he was sick), because he had so many clothes it was unbelievable and I liked for him to have pants and a nice shirt on at all times.

But now, in order for me to stay at home, we lost my income. Before I quit, we paid off all of our debt other than our house, and just a tiny bit on Clynt's truck. That meant, my car, credit cards, medical bills, and just anything that we had. Now we have a budget that we have to stick to or we end up spending out of our savings account (which is not okay!). We are really sucking at it. Somehow the Lord manages to provide us with more than we thought we were going to have, so we havent had to pull a dime out of savings or anything. However, I really want to be good... I shouldn't shop every day and go out to eat all the time. Sometimes is okay, but regardless of how much money we have or make, we should still stick to a budget.

We are going through a Dave Ramsey lesson with our CARE group and people that make millions still need to have a budget and live by it. The lesson is amazing and we are learning so so much, but we still find it hard to see extra money sitting in our account and not go out and spend it! The idea of a budget is to tell your money where it is going and not have it tell you where it went! It is a wonderful concept and we are really loving getting to go through it and learning how to better manage our money.

Me staying at home, and us loosing my income is still TOTALLY worth it. Corbin should come first in our lives, and this is one HUGE step to making that happen. He is growing every single day and just being able to see him for a few hours of that day was not worth it. He deserves more of my attention and I LOVE being able to give it to him. So this decision was a choice, and I do not regret it for a second... It is perfect for us!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment