Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oh boy, oh boy...

My boys are nothing short of fearless. Neither of them are scared of much. They both run, jump and climb on anything and neither will sit still for more than about 5 seconds.

Being that I grew up with only a sister, I'm not sure that I had any idea what I was getting into with having boys. I knew there would be trucks, sports, guns, bugs, and yucky stuff, but I'm not sure I was prepared for the amount of energy that is in them! It has taken much reading, and much advice to learn how to handle these kiddo's energy. Corbin is 3 and definitely is more hyper than most kids he is around. But I have found that if I make sure he has outlets he does so much better. He NEEDS time in the gym (tumbling and others) to do flips, jump, hang upside down, and run around. He NEEDS time on swings and slides and getting messy outside. The boy simply needs some outlets to release some energy. I find that after he is able to play like a monkey, he will be very well behaved for a while. It's amazing. Garrett definitely loves and needs some time to wear himself out also, but he is still too little to be considered calm afterwards.

They both also just need to stay busy. I need to do crafts and sit on the floor and play with them all the time. I've found down time is bad time. I definitely believe that staying busy is why Corbin has been so good in school thus far. His teacher is amazing with him and keeps him so busy that he behaves wonderfully. We are 7 weeks into school and have not had one sad face at school. It's amazing. He thrives with being busy and learning.

Learning how to be a mom of very very active boys has not been the easiest thing in the world but I would venture to say that it has been the most fun! I love love watching them learn how to do things and man it happens fast. Garrett is 16 months and goes up to the top of the chic fil a playground and down the slide, and Corbin at three can jump up on a trapeze bar and do a flip completely over it. His tumbling coach call him his 'little athlete'. I love watching all of this and getting to be a part of all the excitement. It's exciting to see then do adventurous things. Notice I say exciting, 2 years ago that would have been the word scary. It's taken a while to realize that no matter how scared I am, boys will be boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment